Saturday, November 23, 2013
Remote Heart Rate Capture for Predictive Avoidance of Heart Failure
Disclaimer: I am not a health professional - I am just an overly enthusiastic software developer that uses modern technology to avoid accidentally killing myself by over-exercising.
This post describes ways to actively monitor your heart rate at 1 second intervals using redundant heart rate monitors to avoid exercising past your maximum heart rate - reducing the possibility of heart failure.
See my technical article on where to get my iPhone and Android based app that uploads your biomedical data to a data center where it can be viewed and downloaded for analysis like the graphic below.
http://eclipsejpa.blogspot.com
The graphic above shows where I was able to detect in real time a 20 BPM spike from my normal peak rate of 158 to 178. During the spike I do not feel any different except for an oncoming slight disorientation that grows stronger.
Without the heart rate monitor I would not know when to stop the run and may damage my heart in the long term. Alternatively with no monitoring I eventually might have heart failure in the middle of my workout. In the past 10 years I only rollerbladed or skated- which involves bursts of maximum 160 heart rate at 3-4 min intervals with rest periods in between - usually at traffic lights. Only when I started running on a treadmill continuously past 15 min did I notice the heart rate spikes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Asynchronous communication is the future of work. Asynchronous communication is nothing new, we were just less equipped to use it in workplaces.
ReplyDelete